50 anniversary of Fr. Studzinski’s monument

On September 15, 1963 there was a dedication of a monument in memory of Father Joseph Studzinski, a pastor of St. Stanislaus Kostka parish. The Veterans of St. Stanislaus Kostka Post Legion 1771 were the ones who made it possible. That monument is located in the triangle between Driggs Ave, Graham Ave., and McGuinness Blvd. The city owns the square but unfortunately – does not provide upkeep. It would be sad if the parishioners of St. Stan’s did not urge the city to maintain this square that honors one of our most famous pastors. Let us do something. Let us demand what we deserve. Call 311, call the local representatives….

"Studzinski Square honors a priest beloved by all" – from Polish American World – September 20, 1963…

Father Joseph Studziński was often referred to as one of the best loved priests in Polonia while he was alive. In most cases the „best loved” phrase seems to pass away with the passing away of the individual. Thousands upon thousands went to Greenpoint in Brooklyn to take part in a dedication of a monument and plaque honoring the late great priest who had been pastor of St. Stanislaus Kostka Church. Unfortunately, Fr. Studziński is one who has a prominent place in history, but on Sunday, was not commemorated.

Father Studziński was a missionary of the Vincentian Fathers who served the Polish parish in Greenpoint. Briefly, he was loved by all who were privileged to know him. For those who didn’t have that privilege, we offer this brief biography:

Joseph Studziński was born in Poland. He entered the Vincentian Order in Cracow and was ordained in 1911. Father Studziński arrived in the United States that same year and was assigned to assist Polish immigrants with their religious needs. His first assignment was at St. Michael’s parish in Derby, Connecticut, as a curate, and later became pastor, serving from 1923 to 1929. He was then assigned to St. John Kanty Prep School in Erie, Pa., assuming the chores of a headmaster. In 1935 he was assigned to St. Stanislaus Kostka, replacing Father Mazurkiewicz. He faced heavy debts from the recent construction of the parish school on Newell Street. He led the parish into removing all debts. He then constructed a convent for Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, purchased a huge organ, new benches for the church and made scores of other improvements.

He is referred to as the "Father of the Post" by the members of St. Stanislaus Memorial Post which had grown consistently into one of the most active posts in Kings County.

Truly, no priest had ever won the hearts and support of so many people. When he faced children, his enormous heart seemed to grow even greater. He led them in learning Polish, personally encouraging their tiny voices to talk in his native tongue. His generosity was almost legendary. One young married woman noted on Sunday that she recalled attending a parish bazaar but, because her parents were poor, she had no money to play games or buy candy. Father Studziński, she said, handed her a dollar bill and told her to enjoy herself. The incident was not unusual, she said, and others could offer similar testimony. Fr. Studziński died on December 3, 1954. at the age 67. His body was taken to St. Stanislaus Kostka where thousands passed his bier, most of them in tears. Those who kissed his hands in paying last respects could see the tears that fell for Fr. Studziński. There were tears again last Sunday, not in sadness but more in happiness that "a great man’s memory will live forever".

Articles in the church’s bulletin PATRON from 50 years ago.